Sylva qualified to contest Bayelsa gov poll – Court

Forum 7 months ago

Sylva qualified to contest Bayelsa gov poll – Court

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Tuesday, dismissed a suit seeking to disqualify a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, from contesting the November 11 governorship election in Bayelsa State.

Sylva is the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Bayelsa State.

The suit seeking to disqualify him was filed by Isikima Johnson, who contended that Sylva was unqualified to run for governorship because he had taken the oath of allegiance as a governor twice.

Johnson also alleged irregularities in the April 14, 2023 APC primary election, which produced Sylva as a governorship candidate.

But Justice Inyang Ekwo dismissed the suit for lacking in merit.

Also, the court rejected the suit because it was not instituted within 14 days of the subject matter occurring, hence, it became academic.

Ekwo said, “In all, I find the case of the plaintiff to be weak, having not been established by preponderance of evidence as required by law.

“In the same vein, the case of the plaintiff, having been demolished by overwhelming exhibits tendered by the APC and Timipre Sylva, has no legs to stand upon in the face of the law.

“I make an order, dismissing this case and it is hereby dismissed for lacking in merit,” Justice Ekwo held.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 3 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 3 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election
Forum | 3 days ago

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive
Forum | 3 days ago

Court Fixes May 17 To Rule On Detained Binance Executive's Request For Bail