Lots Of Nigerian Talents Are Being Exploited - Cobhams Asuquo Says

Forum 2 months ago

Lots Of Nigerian Talents Are Being Exploited - Cobhams Asuquo Says

In a brief conversation with The Nation, highly talented music producer and performing artist Cobhams Asuquo discussed his notable achievements in the past two decades, shedding light on topics such as Afrobeats, the music industry, and other relevant issues.

Thoughts on Afrobeats

I think that the music is increasing in Nigeria or in Africa, I feel like the spectrum is very wide. It might be tricky to lump it under one genre. And so I can understand that argument. But I think also, it’s important that if there is some kind of rise to the music that’s coming out of this space, it really doesn’t matter what you call it for me, right? I can call it Afro funk for like, the most important thing is, we have a sound that is intrinsically as it is unique. It has a lot of nuances and our cadences, and it is actually hitting the world right now. And I think that’s what’s important. It’s not so much the name you give it, even though I recognise that name is important, but it is the power that it has to evoke emotions, and to put us out there, and to create a different image of us as a people. I think that’s what that music is doing for us right now.

And as we progress, I think other genres, you know, or sub genres, if you will, are going to find expression within this one namespace. So yes, the spectrum is very wide. And there’s room for variety. You know, Johnny Drille does not make Afrobeats as it were, but his music resonates with Nigerians, Timi Dakolo’s music resonates with Nigeria. So I think, let the music find its feet. And we will, also, name it appropriately as we progress. What matters for our music is to try and fasten, you know, borders, and continents and beliefs and ideologies. And that’s what I stand for. Thank you.

Thoughts on varied sounds on the Nigerian music scene

As a producer, as a musician, I think that the sound we have now is evolving. On the question of whether or not everyone sounds alike, if you look at every genre that music has evolved from, there’s always been a similarity and sound. So in the 1600 and 1700s, it was the Elizabethan sound. You know, whether it was Bach (inaudible) or Beethoven, it was pretty much the Elizabethan Baroque style of writing that we had, it was also reflected in the art of that period, as well, it’s in the nation’s period, or the classical period, or, you know, Chicago in the 60s, or, you know, New York in the 40s and 30s. It was a swinging era of, you know, jazz and what have you.

So, there has always been similarity in music whether it’s classical or R&B or Yele music in Senegal, or whatever it is. And this era is no different. You know, it’s an expression of music that has its roots in certain ideologies and certain expressions, and certain temples and certain experiences. So naturally, there will be a lot of similarities. But as we evolve, you know, people begin to find their identity. And as you look deeper, you can hear the identity in the lyric and the weights and all of that, that makes the songs work. So yes, there is similarity, but I don’t think there’s anything bad about that.

What’s lacking in the music industry?

Well, there’s a lot we can do. I would hate to say that there’s anything lacking necessarily. I think, now it’s an opportune moment for us as a people to take charge of the economics of our music, we’ve established that we have talent. But a lot of the talent that we have is being exploited by infrastructure that is set up outside of Nigeria.

And I think that, you know, we need to function from a place where, as opposed to, you know, government sees this as just a means to make money by, you know, imposing whatever on musicians, it’s creating an enabling environment, so that business and credit, and all of these things are support people who can deal with the technology, and the economics of music, so that, you know, we have our own Apple Music, our own Spotify, our own, you know, basically do what you know, China has done with Tiktok, when, as opposed to America’s Instagram.

Thoughts on boosting creative industry?

I like to talk about politics through my music, because I feel like that way, it’s better thought out and best expressed because sometimes when I talk about politics, a lot of emotions run wild. And I think that’s, it’s good for one to be careful and think about occupying a position of responsibility. I have my thoughts, but I wanted to share my thoughts in a manner that is succinct. Catch me in my music if you want to hear what I think.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’
Forum | 3 days ago

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi
Forum | 3 days ago

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday
Forum | 3 days ago

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday