How Home Delivery Almost Claimed My Life – Nigerian Mother Of 3 Tells Her Story In Bauchi

Forum 1 month ago

How Home Delivery Almost Claimed My Life – Nigerian Mother Of 3 Tells Her Story In Bauchi

Susan Ayuba, a mother of three residing in the Wuntin-Dada area of Bauchi metropolis, has recounted her harrowing near-death encounter during the delivery of her third child at home.

Ayuba who blamed poverty and stubbornness for her decision to deliver at home, told Vanguard that she was saved by the intervention of a healthcare professional who incidentally was visiting her home that day.

She noted that because her two older children were delivered at home, she felt the third delivery would be seamless since she’s had two home-child delivery experiences.

“I had a terrible experience with home child delivery during my third pregnancy. To put it in perspective, I have had two home births before when I gave birth to my two older children. But I would later learn that not all pregnancies are the same.

“On that fateful day, I had just returned from work and was doing some chores when I felt my water broke. So I positioned on a couch to push as I did the other times but it didn’t go as I had intended. Apparently, I passed out after two hours, and I was not so lucky because no one was at home to help.

“As I was lying there almost lifeless, then in my subconscious, it felt like there was someone knocking at the door,”
she said. “I would later wake up to realize it was a family friend who is a midwife. She had revived me, before she helped push out my baby. There was also the case of multiple tears because I tried self-delivery.

“Of course, she was angry that I did not follow her advice to deliver in a healthcare facility. She cleaned me up and immediately drove me to the health facility where she worked for proper health care.

“I was lucky that I didn’t die that day. I will not even wish what happened to me that day on my enemy. That’s why I want to advise all pregnant women everywhere to attend Antenal and deliver their children in hospitals where they can be given proper care by experts trained for the job.”

According to Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS), 8 out of 10 mothers in Bauchi State give birth to their children at home resulting in over 40 percent child mortality, despite huge investment in healthcare delivery by the government.

In Taraba, the story is not too different as over 23 percent of pregnancies result in preventable child death because some Taraba women still indulge in home birth deliveries.

A Health expert with UNICEF, Oluseyi Olosunde cautioned women against practicing child delivery at home to enhance their chances of their survival and that of their baby during childbirth.

Mr. Olosunde who is the Health Officer of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Bauchi Field Office gave the warning

Olosunde who presented a paper titled: “The Optics of Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) in Bauchi Field Office” made the remark at a Media Dialogue to mark this year’s International Women’s Day (IWD).

He said that home child delivery poses serious danger to the mother in case of breach during labour, as the home lacks the necessary equipment to detect the problem with a view to saving the baby and the mother.

On his part, Dr. Tushar Rane, Chief of UNICEF Bauchi Field Office noted the need for gender equality and promoting women’s well-being in all facets of life, is paramount for building prosperous economies and fostering a healthy planet.

He maintained that the International Women’s Day serves as a powerful reminder of the progress made and the work that still lies ahead regarding the plights of women.

“It’s a day to honor the trailblazing women who have paved the way for future generations, a day to recognize the invaluable contributions of women in every sphere of society, from politics and business to science, arts, and beyond,”
he noted.

He reiterated the importance and gains of Mama2Mama, an initiative of UNICEF where women empower each other and encourage their peers to improve their health-seeking behaviour, pointing out that the well-being of women generates transformative ripple effect that uplifts a community.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish
Forum | 2 days ago

I’ve Been In Love With Girls For My Whole Life – Billie Eilish

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 3 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi
Forum | 3 days ago

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi

The Life of Chuck: Mike Flanagan, David Dastmalchian Offer Updates on Stephen King Horror Movie
Forum | 4 days ago

The Life of Chuck: Mike Flanagan, David Dastmalchian Offer Updates on Stephen King Horror Movie