Budget padding: 340 Reps support Dogara to remain as Speaker – Nkem-Abonta

Forum 7 years ago

Budget padding: 340 Reps support Dogara to remain as Speaker – Nkem-Abonta

The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Public Petitions, Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, has disclosed that Speaker of the House, Yakubu Dogara enjoys the support of most lawmakers of the lower legislative chambers.
Nkem-Abonta made the disclosure while reacting to allegations by former Chairman on Appropriation, Abdulmumin Jibrin that some principal officers of the House attempted to pad the 2016 budget to the tune of over N40bn.

Jibrin had also accused Dogara of bribing lawmakers with $25,000 each to sign a vote of confidence register opened at the Speakers guest house in Abuja.

Chatting with reporters in Abuja on Wednesday, the Abia State lawmaker said more than 340 of the 360-members of the House are in support of the Speaker, adding that Dogara was human, and so would not be able to please everyone in the House.

The lawmaker also denied seeing any register which about 260 members reportedly signed to pass a vote of confidence on the Speaker.

According to Nkem-Abonta, “I am sure that less than 10 members are the ones against him, meaning that 90% or more stand with Dogara”.

He further stated that the 8th House under the leadership of Dogara, had enjoyed relative peace.

“Looking at the output of the 8th House, you can understand that majority of members enjoyed, and are still enjoying the leadership style of Dogara, notwithstanding our differences at take-off.

“Until the so called padding, Dogara had no issue in the House. I’m from Abia State, I have not seen the register, but I can say authoritatively that no member from Abia will sign against him (Dogara), we all love Dogara. It is true he is human, he may have his shortcomings, but we all love him.

“Dogara has maintained a cool, level-head leadership, so no need for change of leadership. He cannot please 360 people, and nobody is perfect. Those who are aggrieved should use in-house mechanism to address issues. He cannot place everybody where they want to be.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Ex-Reps Member, Nwuke Reveals Why Fubara Is Gaining Support In Rivers
Forum | 2 days ago

Ex-Reps Member, Nwuke Reveals Why Fubara Is Gaining Support In Rivers

Stop Wike’s Use of PDP to Remain Relevant – Secondus to Party Leaders
Forum | 2 days ago

Stop Wike’s Use of PDP to Remain Relevant – Secondus to Party Leaders

Grammy Is US Award, Let’s Support Our Own — Joeboy to Colleagues
Forum | 1 week ago

Grammy Is US Award, Let’s Support Our Own — Joeboy to Colleagues