I almost died in prison – Edo Deputy Governor-elect

Forum 7 years ago

I almost died in prison – Edo Deputy Governor-elect

A member representing Etsako Federal Constituency and new deputy Governor of Edo State, Hon. Philip Shuaibu has recounted how members of the press saved his life in the days of Gani Fawehinmi.

“If not for you, I would not be living today. If not that you reported that one guy was also arrested and detained in Yaba, I would have been forgotten”, he said.

Philip who was addressing House of Reps Press Corp in Abuja, said Nigerian Journalists impressed it upon the government of the day, to release him from prison, when he was arrested alongside Late Gani Fawehinmi.

Narrating his ordeal in the hands of the Abacha led Military government, the new Edo deputy Governor said the military arrested some of them in connection to ‘Abacha Must Go’ protest in Lagos State and he was thrown to prison, alongside other prominent activists.

After some days, few of the protesters were released, living Philip and 7 others practically forgotten in prison, until the media fought for their release.

“While some young men were using their energy for ‘Youths Earnestly Ask for Abacha’, we were saying ‘Youths Earnestly Say Abacha Must Go’; in one of those incidences, I was arrested, detained and forgotten.

“All the big men that were arrested were released but they didn’t know we were in another cell within the same prison. They released the big names that they know and it was you, who made them realised that some people are out but I was not among them.

“A week later, we were all released. That is why I can never forget you. I will always remain with you because you saved my life. Truly, there are many of my type that are still there. Without you, nobody would remember them”, he explained.

The former Majority Leader of Edo House of Assembly, also used the forum to promise his relentless support and partnership with the media in his new office.

“For me, I am one of you and I will always be one of you. I will always remain with you. I am a Journalist and will always remain a Journalist”, he added.

Philip Shuaibu, who only spent 17 months at the National Assembly, was recently elected as the deputy Governor of Edo State under the All Progressive Congress (APC).

The inuguration is billed to take place on Saturday, 12th November 2016.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Philip Shaibu Excluded As INEC Releases Final List Of Candidates For Edo Guber Election
Forum | 13 hours ago

Philip Shaibu Excluded As INEC Releases Final List Of Candidates For Edo Guber Election

PDP To Elect New Chairman In August
Forum | 2 days ago

PDP To Elect New Chairman In August

Governor Ododo Didn’t Help Yahaya Bello Escape EFCC Arrest — Commissioner, Fanwo
Forum | 2 days ago

Governor Ododo Didn’t Help Yahaya Bello Escape EFCC Arrest — Commissioner, Fanwo

Electricity Tariffs: RSM Calls On Nigerian Labour To Begin Mass Protests Against Tinubu Government
Forum | 4 days ago

Electricity Tariffs: RSM Calls On Nigerian Labour To Begin Mass Protests Against Tinubu Government