I’ll Not Resign As Deputy Speaker – Lasun

Forum 8 years ago

I’ll Not Resign As Deputy Speaker – Lasun

The newly elected Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, Hon. Yusuf Suleiman Lasun yesterday dispelled reports that he was under pressure from quarters loyal to the All Progressives Congress (APC) national leader, Bola Ahmed Tinubu to resign.

Lasun described the report as a “speculation”. According to him, the June 9 election followed due process, hence his resignation would be baseless.

Speaking to newmen on the sidelines of Tuesday’s inauguration of the 36-member House Adhoc Committee on Welfare, Lasun said, “It is not correct, that (call for resignation) is speculation. Why will I resign when I went through an election.”

Defends NASS’ N120bn budget

Meanwhile, Lasun has defended the N120billion budget appropriated for the National Assembly for 2015. He also faulted the impression that senators and members of the House were earning “overblown” salaries and allowances.

He said, “When you talk about salary it has to be tied to something, let me tell you this, for the last three years with exception of 2015 the budget of National Assembly has been N150billion, and that is exactly 2.67 per cent of the total budget of the federation.

“So I don’t know where people see this when they say it (National Assembly Budget) is 25 per cent of the budget of the federation. The budget of the National Assembly is 2.67 per cent of the federation, so it is not overblown.

“People have suddenly forgotten or they don’t know that there are 469 members of the National Assembly, and each with five aides and they will be paid from the N150 billion. The assembly itself has technocrats and staffers. We have the National Assembly Commission, all of them draw their salaries and allowances from this N150 billion.

“So when people talk, they always think it’s only the House of Reps members and the Senators that collect the N150 billion and again don’t forget that for 2015 budget, the money has been reduced to N120billion.”

Dogara Sets Up Legislative Agenda Drafting Committee

Meanwhile, the Speaker, House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara has set up a committee to re-draft his legislative agenda for the 8th Assembly.

Declaring open the three-day event in Abuja yesterday, Dogara said: “The expectation of House members and Nigerians alike is very high as the election was very keenly contested and we also made promises during our campaigns for speakership. It is now time to deliver on those promises.”
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Hike in Electricity Tariffs: Reps Will Intervene Upon Resumption of Plenary – Deputy Speaker, Kalu
Forum | 1 week ago

Hike in Electricity Tariffs: Reps Will Intervene Upon Resumption of Plenary – Deputy Speaker, Kalu

How The Kidnappers Of ABSU Deputy Vice Chancellor Were Arrested – Governor Otti Reveals
Forum | 1 week ago

How The Kidnappers Of ABSU Deputy Vice Chancellor Were Arrested – Governor Otti Reveals

Edo Deputy Gov, Shaibu Absent As Impeachment Panel Ends Sitting
Forum | 1 week ago

Edo Deputy Gov, Shaibu Absent As Impeachment Panel Ends Sitting

Alleged Assassination Attempt: Agbese Lied – Benue Deputy Speaker, Ogenyi Speaks
Forum | 1 week ago

Alleged Assassination Attempt: Agbese Lied – Benue Deputy Speaker, Ogenyi Speaks