Kuje prison break: Minister of Interior Lt.Gen. Dambazau orders immediate security beef up

Forum 7 years ago

Kuje prison break: Minister of Interior Lt.Gen. Dambazau orders immediate security beef up

Following the escape of two inmates from Kuje prison last week, the Minister of Interior, Lt.-Gen. Abdurahaman Dambazau (rtd) on Monday, June 27, ordered immediate security beef up at the Kuje Medium prisons and all other prisons across the country. Dambazau gave the order in Abuja shortly after an on-the-spot assessment of the Kuje prisons in Abuja. The two inmates standing trial for murder were said to have escaped from the prison on Friday and are still at large.

The minister, who was taken round the prison facility by the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS), Ahmed Jafaru and other prison officials, expressed shock at the incident, adding that he had ordered for detailed investigation into the matter and vowed to get to the root of the matter, while the hunt for the escaped inmates continues. He noted the poor state of the prison and recalled that he had observed some security lapses around the prison on his last visit.

"The last time I was here I noticed some security gap in the prison, I made my observation then with the former CG with the present controller prison and I notice the security gap and I told them precisely what to do but unfortunately this has occurred," He expressed worry on some of the security lapses around the prison facility.

"Two prisoners escaped and especially these are prisoners who are awaiting trial for murder. So, this is a very serious issue that I cannot be happy about,’" he added.

He assured that the current administration is working towards the rehabilitation of Nigerian Prisons in order to make it a true rehabilitation centres for inmates like those in developed countries.

Source: The Nation

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 1 day ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed
Forum | 2 days ago

Breaking Bad’s Anna Gunn Says People’s Attitude Toward Skyler Has Changed

Mohbad’s Wife, Wunmi Reacts As Court Orders Substituted Service On DNA TestOn DNA Test
Forum | 5 days ago

Mohbad’s Wife, Wunmi Reacts As Court Orders Substituted Service On DNA TestOn DNA Test

Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others
Forum | 6 days ago

Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others