Money Recovered From Looters Would Be Used To Fund Women Affairs Ministry – Buhari

Forum 8 years ago

Money Recovered From Looters Would Be Used To Fund Women Affairs Ministry – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday assured officials of the Ministry of Women Affairs that part of the money his administration would recover from looters would be used to fund the ministry. He gave the assurance when ?the Permanent Secretary, Ezekiel Oyemomi, led officials of the ministry to brief ?the President on its activities and challenges at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He assured that the resslement and comfort of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) remains a top priprity of his administration.

This is even as the President said no amount of intrigues would make him relent in the war against corruption.

Oyemomi told State House correspondents that they briefed Buhari on all its activities at the end of which he realised that his ministry was demanding.

He said, “when you look at what the ministry is set up to do, we cut across 70 per cent of the population dealing with the issues of women, children, the vulnerable, people with disabilities, the distressed, distressed families and the lot.

“He (the President) gave his word that once government can recover some funds, he will make sure that such are introduced into boosting the budget of the ministry so that we can be well-funded, especially on areas of empowerment, empowering all the stakeholder groups.”

Oyemomi said one of the challenges facing the ministry was that some establishments that are supposed to be under his ministry had been absorbed somewhere else.

According to him, the President had promised to look into the matter and bring such establishments back under the ministry.

“Part of the challenges are that some establishments should normally be under our control, but they have been absorbed somewhere else especially the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). “We have expressed this to him and believe that the President will look at it and bring them back under us. He didn’t give a definite response but our document that had been presented certainly would be reviewed so that the right thing can be done,” he added.

Meanwhile, the President said yesterday that no amount of pressure would make him give up the war against corruption. He restated that looters of the nation’s treasury would soon have their day in court and that, upon conviction, their ill-gotten wealth will be seized and returned to government coffers.

He made the declaration when he hosted members of “Nigerians Against Corruption “who marched to the Presidential Villa, Abuja to pledge their full support for his administration’s anti-graft campaign, promising “a relentless prosecution of the war against corruption, with due regard to the Rule of Law.

“I believe it is time for Nigeria to change course. That is why I sought election as President and got elected. As President, I am determined that Nigeria must move away from a course of endemic corruption that was leading us to perdition.
[ads4]
“There can be no question of our willfully allowing anyone to get away with corruption. No matter the pressure and entreaties, the anti-corruption war will continue and all accused persons will have their day in court,” the President said.

Welcoming the support of the group, President Buhari, who was represented by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, also reaffirmed his commitment to curbing insecurity and boosting employment for Nigerians, especially the youth.

He called for the continued support and solidarity of Nigerians as the present administration corrects the wrongs of the past.

The group, led by Aisha Yesufu, condemned recent statements by some individuals against the President’s anti-corruption campaign.

They assured Buhari that the vast majority of ordinary Nigerians fully supported his efforts to curb corruption and urged him not to be deterred by the antics of those who do not share his laudable vision of a fairer, more equitable, corruption-free and progressive nation.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim
Forum | 2 days ago

I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim

Herbalist And Three Others Who Killed A Woman For Money Ritual Get Nabbed In Osun
Forum | 2 days ago

Herbalist And Three Others Who Killed A Woman For Money Ritual Get Nabbed In Osun

Stop Associating Me With Him - Ms DSF Reacts After Tiktoker, Nickie DaBarbie Accused Skiibii Of Money Rituals
Forum | 3 days ago

Stop Associating Me With Him - Ms DSF Reacts After Tiktoker, Nickie DaBarbie Accused Skiibii Of Money Rituals

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out
Forum | 4 days ago

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out