‘Nigeria Did NOT Give Us Any Space’- France Star Renard

Forum 4 years ago

‘Nigeria Did NOT Give Us Any Space’- France Star Renard

France defender Wendie Renard is pleased with her side’s one hundred percent start to the 2019 Women’s World Cup after a nervy 1-0 win over Nigeria in Rennes.

Prior to the match, Les Bleues had never won all three Women’s World Cup group games in their history. Their previous best was two wins in 2011 and 2015.

The African champions made Corinne Diacre’s ladies work hard as they required a 79th-minute penalty to win the match.

The Lyon star, who scored the winner, is delighted that her side to overcame a hard-fighting Super Falcons outfit.

“No, I don’t think there was any tension. The Nigerian team didn’t give us any space to play,” Renard told the media.

“In the first two matches, it was different. But all of the work we were able to do in the first half allowed us to get into those spaces in the second half.

“Even if I think we could have scored a few more goals, we were able to get those opportunities and for me, that’s very positive.

“When it came to it, the players were asking me whether I wanted to take another go at it, and I decided I was going to take the penalty again.

“It was very good for the team, and also for me as well. I’m very positive. Three games, three wins.

“So if we were to take stock of this first stage, I think we can continue with this momentum, we can ride a wave. We have this great crowd behind us for every game and we want it to continue.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Down Cemetery Road: Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson to Star in Apple TV+ Thriller
Forum | 2 days ago

Down Cemetery Road: Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson to Star in Apple TV+ Thriller

Falcon and the Winter Soldier Star Emily VanCamp to Lead Drama Series About Former Sex Worker
Forum | 2 days ago

Falcon and the Winter Soldier Star Emily VanCamp to Lead Drama Series About Former Sex Worker

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries

Bobrisky: Nigeria Has Become Dumping Ground For A Lot Of Things - Foluke Daramola
Forum | 3 days ago

Bobrisky: Nigeria Has Become Dumping Ground For A Lot Of Things - Foluke Daramola