Nigerian filmmakers urged to improve tolerance for criticism

Forum 9 years ago

Nigerian filmmakers urged to improve tolerance for criticism

A panel at the ongoing AFRIFF in Calabar has urged filmmakers to be more receptive of criticism.

A panel on film criticism and it’s effects in Nigeria at the ongoing Africa International Film Festival ( AFRIFF) in Calabar has urged filmmakers who think criticism is destructive to have a rethink.

The session themed Art of Film Criticism, had renowned journalist and film critic,Shaibu Husseini and Don Omopeas lead panelists, anchoring the session on three main questions: What do you think of the film critic? Are they partners or spoilers? Do they help Box Office returns or not?

The panel noted that the presence of critics would make the filmmaker attempt to do what is right.

However, in doing so, it was reasoned that the would-be critic needs to know the genre well enough so that he/she would speak convincingly about the work. The critic should also endeavour to have a sound knowledge of film history, genre, know the style of the director and, perhaps, check whether he or she has been consistent in creating the screen image.

Husseini pointed out that the actual art of criticism is done in the academics, adding that: ‘As a journalist doing my review and appreciation of movies for The Guardian Newspapers, which is titled Movie Run, I have made so much enemies.

his, however, has not deterred my efforts to have a thriving criticism culture, because my mission as a critic is to help sustain a germane film tradition that is devoid of incongruities.’
According to Omope, filmmaking cannot grow in isolation.

However, there is almost always a conflict between the critic and the filmmaker, which has created a subtle tension in terms of quality and box office returns.
[ads4]
He also refused to accede to the opinion that critics should be part of the ‘filmmaking process’ because it kills the independence of the critic, adding that, ‘You cannot think or teach the filmmaker how to do his/her work.’
Chineze Anyaene, producer of the award-winning,Ije – which has reportedly grossed over N56 million from Box Office – added that: ‘A filmmaker should be open to criticism. Nothing is perfect, pick the ones that are constructive and drop the rest.’

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
How Nigerian Soldiers Intercepted A Gun Runner In Taraba, Foiled Kidnap Attempt
Forum | 3 days ago

How Nigerian Soldiers Intercepted A Gun Runner In Taraba, Foiled Kidnap Attempt

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Govt to Sell Crude Oil in Naira to Dangote and Other Local Refineries

Bundesliga: Leverkusen star, Xhaka lauds Nigerian duo after title success
Forum | 4 days ago

Bundesliga: Leverkusen star, Xhaka lauds Nigerian duo after title success

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip
Forum | 4 days ago

Nigerian Woman Prepares Perfect Birthday Gift For Her Friend Who Loves To Gossip