“People Don’t Believe I Am A Lagosian” - Desmond Elliot

Forum 9 years ago

“People Don’t Believe I Am A Lagosian” - Desmond Elliot

Popular Nollywood actor, Desmond Elliot has revealed what he has been passing through since his political intention was made known.

Desmond Elliot
TheNigerian actor and movie director who has starred in over 200 films and a number of television series and soap operas revealed in a recent interview with City People how many mocked him. The actor, who is one of the best hands in English Nollywood movie genre and has won many awards both locally and abroad said many still do not believe that he has he is of Yoruba descent.

The Nollywood actor who declared his intention to represent Surulere constituency in Lagos State House of Assembly under the All Progressives Congress recently released his campaign poster and manifesto for his House of Assembly ambition.

Although not many knew that the actor had Yoruba blood in his veins, which came as a surprise to several of his fans, the actor revealed that he has become a night crawler because of his new found love, politics. The actor revealed that he has never been a night crawler, but that Politics has given him the opportunity to appreciate night movement.

When asked why he had not been using his Yoruba name since gaining attention in the movie industry, the actor explained that he had to use his English name for professional reasons.

“Politics has been in me for many years but I wanted a party which was progressive. My choice of APC was because its stronger and progressive. The party is one you can identify with. This is also a good platform and a good party. It has lots of programs that cater for people’s welfare. It has so much differentiated itself from all others. This is one of the reasons why I decided to join the party”he explained.

Talking about being mocked for the recent inclusion of “Olushola” to his name, the actor reveals that he laughs when people say he is not from Lagos state.
“I am from Lagos state. My father is from Olowogbowo in Lagos Island but my mother is from Delta state. I refer to myself as being a Pan-African.
[ads4]
People don’t believe I am a Lagosian because I seldom act in Yoruba movies. And I didn’t include the Shola in my name. Then because my surname is also English, many couldn’t differentiate which made people confused of where exactly I am from. I am very detribalised.
People of my constituency know my story and know where I come from. I have always used Shola in my primary school days. I went to Air Force Primary School in Plateau and later attended St John’s College, both in Jos. I proceeded to Lagos State University where I studied Economics and graduated in 2003?says Elliot.
On his agenda if he eventually emerges the winner in the forth coming election, the actor turned politician says:
Security and Housing for more people. Welfare insurance, Housing for more people, road usage, protection of entertainers against abuse of creativity, content right protection which is on ground but not enforced. A lot more we can do to make the state a cosmopolitan,and mega city”.
It would be recalled that among the many awards the actor has gotten, he has won the best supporting actor in a drama at the 2nd Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards and was nominated for best supporting actor at the 10th Africa Movie Academy Awards.
Other celebs that joined politics include the likes of Nollywood actor, Bob Manuel, actress, Kate Henshaw, singer, 9ice, Tony Tetuila,comedian, Julius Agwuamongst others

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
When Naira Went Haywire And Some People Were Celebrating, Inwardly We Were Laughing At Them - Shettima Says
Forum | 1 day ago

When Naira Went Haywire And Some People Were Celebrating, Inwardly We Were Laughing At Them - Shettima Says

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa
Forum | 1 day ago

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians
Forum | 2 days ago

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians

Kidnappers Abduct Four People Returning From Party In Oyo, Demand N200m
Forum | 2 days ago

Kidnappers Abduct Four People Returning From Party In Oyo, Demand N200m