South African Athlete Breaks 17-Year-Old World Record - Rio Olympics

Forum 7 years ago

South African Athlete Breaks 17-Year-Old World Record - Rio Olympics

South Africa's Wayde van Niekerk broke a 17-year-old world record at the Rio Olympics, to win the gold medal in the 400m. The 24 year old track and field sprinter clocked 43.03 sec to beat Johnson’s 17-year world record of 43.18 sec. “I believed I could get the world record. I’ve dreamed of this medal forever,” said Van Niekerk. “I am blessed.”

Wayde has 74-year-old veteran coach, Anna Botha, since 2012 Olympics who is a former sprinter and long jumper.

"I'm really grateful I can go on the track and say my coach has pushed me to reach every level and believe anything is possible... She's an amazing woman. She's played a huge role in what I am today." Said Wayde to CNN

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’
Forum | 3 days ago

The World Is Deeper Than Our Mortal Eyes Can See - BBNaija’s Ka3na Shares Video Of Her Participating In A Ritual For Blessings From ‘Water Goddess’

EPL: Iwobi equals Kanu’s assist record in Fulham’s win at West Ham
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Iwobi equals Kanu’s assist record in Fulham’s win at West Ham

EPL: Rio Ferdinand lists two matches that will stop Arsenal from winning title
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Rio Ferdinand lists two matches that will stop Arsenal from winning title

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers
Forum | 5 days ago

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers