Two Young Nigerians Get 55 Years Jail Term In Enugu For Drug Trafficking

Forum 8 years ago

Two Young Nigerians Get 55 Years Jail Term In Enugu For Drug Trafficking

A Federal High Court sitting in Enugu, has sentenced two drug traffickers to fifty-five years in jail.

One of the convicts,Deborah Okafor, a 30-year-old professional dancer, was charged with conspiracy, trafficking and unlawful possession of 3.450kg of amphetamine, while the other,Iheme Onyemauchechukwu, was charged with trafficking and unlawful importation of 9.975kg of heroin. They were both arrested at the Enugu airport.

A statement by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency said Okafor would have been paid the sum of $3,500 if she successfully made her trip to Malaysia.

She was convicted and sentenced by Justice D. V. Agishito 10 years each in counts one and two and 20 years in count three making her sentence 40 years altogether.

The second convict,Onyemau chechukwu,27, was charged with trafficking and unlawful importation of 9.975kg of heroin. He was convicted as charged and sentenced to 10 years in count one with a fine of N1m and five years in count two with a fine of N500,000,000.

Okafor reportedly hid 3.450kg of amphetamine inside the pockets of jean trousers in her luggage.

She told the court that she was broke and needed money. “I had been approached on many occasions to smuggle drugs but I declined.
I thought that I could earn some quick money in few days,” she stated.

Onyemau chechukwu said he was recruited in Tanzania by a suspected drug cartel in East Africa. He told investigators that he smuggled drugs because he was stranded.

“I used to sell phone accessories before I left the country. I wanted to go to Malaysia in search of job opportunities but I was stranded in Tanzania. Then I met a Nigerian who gave me money and promised to assist me get back to Nigeria.

He offered to give me some money to start up my business. He later took me to Bujumbura in Burundi where I was given 9.975kg of heroin hidden inside cosmetics,” he stated.

NDLEA Chairman,Ahmadu Giade,expressed satisfaction with the judgment.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Enugu Mourns Junior Pope, Opens Condolence Register
Forum | 10 hours ago

Enugu Mourns Junior Pope, Opens Condolence Register

NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa
Forum | 1 day ago

NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa

India
Forum | 3 days ago

India's Narcotics Control Bureau Arrests Alleged Nigerian Drug Kingpin And His Wife, Freezes Their Assets

Young Couple Who Discovered They’re Siblings After a Year of Dating Refuse to End Relationship
Forum | 3 days ago

Young Couple Who Discovered They’re Siblings After a Year of Dating Refuse to End Relationship