UK Muslim group drags President Buhari to ICC over Shiite killings

Forum 8 years ago

UK Muslim group drags President Buhari to ICC over Shiite killings

A United Kingdom based Muslims’ rights group , the Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC) has dragged President Buhari to the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the alleged killing of Shiite members by the Nigerian Army.

Also included in the suit are Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state and the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.

Premium Times reports that the group also called on the ICC to investigate the emir of Kano,Muhammadu Sanusi II,and the emir of Zaria,Shehu Idrisfor alleged human rights abuses.

IHRC in a statement said“ICC prosecutor should open a preliminary examination into the incidents that occurred between the 12th and 14th December 2015 in Zaria, Kaduna State."

It also demanded that the“prosecutor expand(s) its monitoring activities on Nigeria and the army’s involvement in attacks against the IMN that occurred in the period between 2014 and 2015.”

The group also accused the Nigerian government of protecting people who commit offences, adding that there were no indications that the government was willing to look into the case.

Speaking on the Judicial Panel of Inquiry set up by Governor El-Rufai, the IHRC said“At the present time, the available information shows some inadequacies or reluctance on the part of the Nigerian authorities to generally address the violence that occurred on 12-13 December 2015.

“The Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the Kaduna State governor Malam Nasir el-Rufai is insufficiently independent and impartial to be able to hold those responsible to account, nor is there any reasonable prospect of any prosecutions. In his speech, the governor listed a range of grievances against the IMN, which is indicative of bias against the IMN from the start.”

The group also added that“Both IMN and Amnesty International have expressed concerns that the Judicial Commission of Inquiry is not set up to sufficiently perform a credible inquiry.”

A clash ensued between the Nigerian Army and Shiite Muslims on December 12, 2015, following allegations that the sect members tried to assassinate the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals
Forum | 2 days ago

Forum | 3 days ago

Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje
Forum | 3 days ago

Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu
Forum | 4 days ago

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu